RE: [ga] WHOIS data on .org domains

I think I have to continue to disagree with you on this one Danny.

Thin registry data has historically been the following fields:

Domain Name;
Registrar;
Whois Server;
Referral URL;
Primary Name Server;
Secondary Name Server;
Status
Creation Date
Last Update

See for example the printout from VeriSign Registry for DNSPolicy.com (I
actually like the .org extension but both second level domain names are
great domain names, let me know if you ever decide to give it up)

   Domain Name: DNSPOLICY.COM
   Registrar: MELBOURNE IT, LTD. D/B/A INTERNET NAMES WORLDWIDE
   Whois Server: whois.melbourneit.com
   Referral URL: http://www.melbourneit.com
   Name Server: NS1.ULTSEARCH.COM
   Name Server: NS2.ULTSEARCH.COM
   Updated Date: 15-may-2002
   Creation Date: 15-may-2002
   Expiration Date: 15-may-2003 (NEWLY ADDED)

Lets go through these data points one at a time:

Domain name:

There seems to be a domain name match between your original printout and
Register.com's thick whois output.

Registrar of record:

Your original Whois printout stated - Sponsoring Registrar:R71-LROR
This corresponds to Register.com's ID (see
http://www.pir.org/whois/registrar_list)
So this seems to be accurate.

Whois Server:

Your original Whois printout stated - whois.register.com
This also corresponds with Register.com thick whois output
So this seems to be accurate

Referral URL:

Your original Whois printout stated - www.register.com
This also corresponds with Register.com's thick Whois output
So this seems to be accurate

Creation Date:

Your original Whois printout stated - Created On:04-Jul-2002 04:11:45 UTC
According to Register.com's thick Whois data - July 4, 2002
So this seems to be accurate

Primary/Secondary DNS:

Your original Whois printout stated - DNS3.REGISTER.COM and
DNS4.REGISTER.COM
According to Register.com's thick Whois data  your primary and secondary DNS
is in fact DNS3.REGISTER.COM and DNS4.REGISTER.COM
So this seems to be accurate

If I missed something please let me know. I agree that the Whois output from
the thick registry is very confusing to a normal user. Hopefully with the
transition to a thick registry this problem will be resolved quickly.

Best regards,

Mike