RE: [ga] Esther Dyson..... - a modest clarification

On 10 Feb 2003 at 9:09, Joe Baptista wrote:

> > >Note: I did not say "in all ways."  nor did I say "meaningless input"
> > >(as in the ICANNwatch headline). The kind of input I mean is input that
> > >has an impact, because it is delivered by credible individuals making
> > >good points in the face-to-face conversations where policy details and
> > >compromises are hammered out.

Hmmm.... face to face in the age of the internet.  That's a major step
backwards, isn't it?  There are collaberation tools all over the place to
allow for remote meetings, but ICANN chooses to spend money on travel all
over the globe in a depressed economy that places most people in a
position where they effectively have no input at all.  Those who serve on
the committee are hand picked and have not been elected.  They are not at
all representative of the at-large and their face to face input has little
or no meaining to the rest of us other than they ignore the comments made
by us.  Those who "hammer out" policy details do so on their own and even
those will be ignored.  It's business as usual - typical of ICANN.

People have made their opinions clear on this list, certainly, yet you
still maintain the position that we should find a way to obtain airline
tickets and funds for hotel stays whether it's feasible, offordable or
even safe.

I, for one, cannot travel and certainly would not do so in order to have
less than five minutes to "maybe" speak to a committee that will pay no
attention to anything I have to say.  ICANN has closed its doors to us
other than the usual lip service.  Unfortunately, it is you, Esther, who
continues to spout the lie that working with a committee that has no true
representation of the at-large stakeholders and that has no decisive voice
in policy making.  The board has no obligation to act on any "advice"
given by these sham committees and has already show they will not do so.

If and when ICANN implements true representation of all stakeholders,
perhaps it could regain the credibility it has lost or never even
achieved.

Leah