Re: [ga] whois.txt, ala robots.txt, as a standard ?

Hi Dan,

Only 1 more message allowed today for me, as this is my 4th....

--- Dan Steinberg <synthesis@videotron.ca> wrote:
> Once again I think you have failed to catch my meaning :-)

Oh, I understood you very well. :) This is all about how to "frame" the
debate, i.e. do we start debating as saying the status quo is "absolute
privacy", and others need to show the need to pry open some of that
privacy? Or, do we start from a status quo that has open, accurate, and
transparent WHOIS data? :)

I'm reminded of an episode of the Britcom "Yes, Prime Minister", where
the PM and his aides are discussing the accuracy of polling (and this
whole "framing" issue) to show that a majority is in support of
mandatory National Service (i.e. a draft). See:

http://www.wfsoftware.co.uk/mr/badsurvey.htm

In this debate, the privacy advocates might ask:

1) Are you worried about increased crime and violence? (yes)
2) Are you unhappy about spam and cyberhacking on the internet? (yes)
3) Have you ever been concerned about being cyberstalked by strangers
on ther internet? (yes)
4) Are you concerned about big corporations misusing your personal
information? (yes)
4) Would you support greater protection of your WHOIS data on the
internet? (of course, yes, yes, yes!)

Whereas those seeking accurate and transparent WHOIS might frame things
as:

1) Are you concerned about international terrorism? (yes)
2) Are you worried about high legal costs and overworked police? (yes)
3) Are you in favour of making the internet a safer place, and
promoting responsible usage? (yes)
4) Do you support making it harder for spammers, criminals and
terrorists to cover their tracks on the internet? (yes)
5) Are you in favour of keeping public access to WHOIS data (yes, yes,
yes!!)

hehe Of course, I'm pragmatic, and don't go for either of the above
debating tactics (most of the time....I'm human). It's harder to do the
above, when one sticks to economics, costs and benefits. My side has it
easier, since the contracts in place already enforce WHOIS accuracy
(both in the gTLDs and in .ca too; not sure about the other ccTLDs) --
it's the other side that has to change things.

So, since you didn't take up my challenge to enumerate some of the
benefits of increased privacy, economically, am I to assume that they
were negligible? :) Please describe for the court (of public opinion!)
what dollar value you'd place on not having to publish WHOIS data for
your domains, i.e. the benefits of that increased privacy?

Sincerely,

George Kirikos
http://www.kirikos.com/