RE: [ga] whois.txt, ala robots.txt, as a standard ?

George, your assumption is that privacy is an option that people desire
in the same manner that they lust after consumer goods.

My view is slightly different - the data is mine and you can't use it
unless you ask me first. This is substantially different than privacy or
lack thereof and goes directly to my fundamental rights as a consumer
and human being. This "data" is not in the public domain - it belongs to
me. Continuing to adhere to policy (not just ICANN) that prevents me
from commercially exploiting (or otherwise exploiting) the value of my
data is just fundamentally wrong. Why should a registrar benefit from
the sale of *my* information - why shouldn't *I* benefit from the sale
of my information? You don't have a right to spam me, you don't have a
right to resell my data and you certainly don't have a right to
repackage it up and sell it off to the highest bidder. Why? Because
these are the terms of use, the license, that I choose to attach to *my*
data.

Again, I ask if this level of control holds true for corporate
interests, why does it prove false for me?

In my mind this is just as fundamental as my right to walk the streets
at night without being accosted. Its foolish to think that I can do this
in some neighborhoods without first taking back the streets, but this
doesn't make the right evaporate. I believe that my rights in my data
are similar to those rights enjoyed by corporate interests. Just because
it is foolish for me to walk these streets at this point doesn't make my
rights go away - it simply means we need to take back our data first.

                       -rwr

"There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like an
idiot."
- Steven Wright

Get Blog... http://www.byte.org/