Re: [ga] whois.txt, ala robots.txt, as a standard ?

George,

With respect,
I think you have it backwards.
Society is not where someone enumerates all the rights and whatever is
not on the list....you have to fight for.
Its the opposite.
Society is an aggregation of people and other entities...who decide by
majority or force of someones bigger guns, or whatever...to agree to
certain limitations on the basic right to do whatever you want.

If you start by framing the discussion about the 'right to privacy' as
something you have to fight for...you may as well argue about:
the right to breathe
the right to have sex
the right to own ugly pets
etc

Society puts limits on our rights...when...it is necessary.
So you should be talking about 'the right to take away the right to
privacy' cause...we already have it...(except in limited exceptions
already dictated by law). In general, you have no right to know what I
had for dinner, normally. but there are exceptions...right?  If there
were a spread of food poisoning....or some other consideration, public
policy might dictate that you...or someone wearing a particular *hat* or
role..might have a right to that information.  But in general, no.

Now if you frame it that way...
what economic value do you place on the right to take away my privacy?
Name the annual dollar benefit and identify who else would benefit and
how it would over alll ...benefit our society?
Can you do it this way?

Dan Steinberg

SYNTHESIS:Law & Technology
35, du Ravin		phone: (613) 794-5356