Re: [ga] whois.txt, ala robots.txt, as a standard ?

Karl:
I am mystified after reading your post.  I share similar beliefs to yours
reg. data privacy.  Some of your statements seem to be derived from a
different reading of my post than what I intended -- let me clarify.

> The burden of proving that access to personally identifiable information
> is a valid access ought to fall on the person requesting access, not on
> the data subject.

+ Agreed.  I merely point out that Whois information has value beyond just
marketers and ip/trademark folks.  Although network operators use
address-registry whois information more than domain-registry, they do (also)
use domain whois information.  Individuals should have the ability to
protect information about themselves from being indiscriminately
displayed/mined/sold.

> Why are people who feel they need to protect their privacy "egregious
> violators".  Suppose you had young children, would you feel comfortable
> publishing your (and thus their) addresses and phone numbers onto an open
> directory?

+ You misread what I said.  I said that providing *only* individuals the
right to provide access to data works as long as the premise is that the
individual supplies accurate/valid data.  However, some of the most
egregious violators (such as domain slammers) wantonly provide false
information - and those trying to get "their" domain name restored to them
have a problem.

> If there are reasonable grounds to believe that someone has
> violated a civil or criminal law, there are well established legal
> procedures (many of which involve going before a neutral magistrate and
> making a showing of those reasonable grounds) to obtain access to things
> like domain name registration databases.

+ Indeed.  As long as you can find someone/someplace to serve.  Or if the
domain name database has accurate information to go after that
individual/group.  The OECD case showed some interesting practical
challenges to this approach.

> And let's be careful not to turn whois into Megan's law in reverse: in
> which internet users are forced to publish their (and their children's)
> names, addresses, and phone numbers for the benefit of any and all
> predators.

+ I don't disagree with you on this.  I certainly get my share of spam,
unsolicited calls, etc thanks to having accurate information available via
Whois.

In reality, domain name Whois information represents a shrinking percentage
of the total Internet (and world) population -- its relevance reduces every
passing year.  You can pick up far more detailed, segmented demographic
information about me (or you) through product registration databases that
get updated when people send in registration cards for everything they buy -
and which they don't realize is often distributed without their permission.

There needs to be a place where accurate domain contact information resides.
Access to this information ought to be restricted and differentiated.
Permission needs to be sought.  Current practice is often a mess, and
abused.  Does this mean we should "completely disengage from the current
system", as Ross suggests ?  Maybe Ross' suggestion is just about marketer
use/abuse of Whois data, in which case I have nothing more to say on the
topic.

Back to my day job now.

-ram