Re: [ga] Is email spoofing against the law?

what jurisdiction are you looking for?
between the US and Europe...you could have quite a few to choose
from..... ;-)
for jurisdictions without specific e-mail legislation...there is still
the simple but elegant solution in classic criminal law...
but I doubt it;'s worth the effort

Joop Teernstra wrote:

> What is the current legislation on email spoofing, sending a message
> with someone else's FROM: address, in the US and in Europe?
>
> Years ago when the Net was young, someone who disagreed with me on a
> mailing list sent a particularly nasty message to a person of known
> sensitivity under my name.
>
> The predictable result was that my mailbox was buried with a
> vindictive mailbomb.
>
> Since the last week, I find that my mailbox is again being buried ,
> this time under bounce messages of spam that is decorated with the
> terabytz.co.nz domain in the FROM: header.
> Someone is broadcasting millions of spam messages under my name.
>
> There is of course a civil remedy for damages, but what  is the
> current state of criminal law?
>

> -joop-

Dan Steinberg

SYNTHESIS:Law & Technology