Re: [ga] Fascinating bust up on the Registrars Mailing List

At 22:51 29/01/03, Richard Henderson wrote:
>Our friend Michael Palage has been involved in a fascinating (and
>entertaining) punch up on the Registrars Mailing List.
>In the context of Afilias (registrar cartel with whom Michael Palage is
>closely involved) the potential conflict of interest was demonstrated in
>the ..info Sunrise and beyond.

We all know that the registrars were only a way to fund Verisign. Direct
relations are the only model making sense. What does not make sense either
is the accidentally imposed "contracted TLD, yearly rented DN model" which
lasts through the ICANN registrars trap.

The real problem we have is to find the way all these dedicated people may
switch to the real network economic model where DNs are to be free,
life-long, law protected alphanumeric pointers of names, mnemonics, trade
marks, etc. in the world's e-network (cyber) environment.

Enough money and opportunities have been lost through ICANN's to fear to be
wrong in not keeping with Jon Postel's style while managing the world's
e-network. They dramatically failed to adapt and keep real. They went legal
instead of global.

1. a new internet economical model is to be worked out. Through the
dot-root experiment (help and non-profit partnership welcome) we might
experiment some ideas, at very low investment/risk.

2. we have to help the transition and help survive and develop the
so-called registrars industry (I would call the "internet business"
people). As we have to protect the Telecom industry (internet is 25% of
their business, they would not survive a second internet chock).

I frankly believe it is possible, not in opposing ICANN (actually in
responding to ICANN's ICP-3 call) but aside ICANN, even in a way in
supporting the status quo (there is plenty of room, but not in the ICANN
limited business field), to not break the current careful equilibrium.

I would even say that the Internet is so an "ICANN-a-dry area" that
opportunities are soaring, should some would just look at them (anyone
wants to sign an NDA and meet :-). Why not to create a "internet extended
business service " mailing list and prepare a constituency, the people
interested in building and offering infrastructural services.
jfc