Re: [ga] Round-robin process... a Registry leader joins the debate

Marc and all FOrmer DNSO GA members,

  ICANN is indeed partly to blame, and certainly responsible for
oversight and policing of their accredited registrars, or at least should be.
However this is NOT an excuse for poor business practice of any sort
from that registrar or registry.  One must also remember that DOC/NTIA
is also in part responsible as well as ICANN is contracted to DOC/NTIA
and has oversight of ICANN under contract.

  That said and hopefully understood yet again, it also has been
known for sometime that ICANN shirks it's oversight responsibilities
of it's Registrars and Registries as the Accreditation agreements have
no real teeth for enforcement, and DOC/NTIA only has one course
of action if ICANN cannot perform adequately, and that is to
rebid the contracts to another entity other than ICANN..

Marc Schneiders wrote:

> The reason why ICANN does nothing against small registrars that only serve
> themselves, is that they get money for each accreditation, and each year.
> The more registrars, the better for ICANN.
>
> So do not blame the registrars, blame ICANN, which is the market
> regulator. ICANN sets the entry price into the domain name registrar
> business. It sets this price too high for you and me, at a level that only
> better businessmen can afford.
>
> ICANN collects money from the registries as well as from the registrars.
> ICANN determines who can be a registry and who a registrar. ICANN can
> change who runs a registry. ICANN demands that the registries only sell
> through the registrars. So ICANN controls the market 100%. If ICANN lets
> in a bunch of self-serving registrars, that doesn't do ICANN any harm. It
> still controls 100% of the market. As soon as ICANN is going to impose
> real rules on the registrars, they will see each other in court. And we
> will all see sooner or later that it is run as a kartel (ab)using a public
> good, vid. the root or namespace.
>
> --
> [02] I will be happy to answer any questions.
> http://logoff.org/

Jeffrey A. Williams
E-Mail jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com
Contact Number: 214-244-4827 or 214-244-3801