[ga] Re: NSI & domain name transfers by bankrupt entities

Recently, I went through a different but ultimately similar scenario with a client who'd had their domain registered by a third party that had put it in their own
name.  The domain expired and my client had not been informed of pending expiration, so my client's web site was down for a week plus.  The domain was renewed but
it took a while for the OnHold Status to be removed and the nameserver information had to be re-entered by the registrant of the domain i.e. not y client but the
party who had acted on his behalf (who was difficult to find, I may add).  My cient's business suffered as a result because they largely rely on the Web for their
marketing purposes.

These kinds of situations are not so uncommon and will likely become even more numerous as time goes on and more people join the Web.  I am wondering if some kind
of Department needs to be established within ICANN to facilitate dealing with such problems.  The reason I say within ICANN is that the registrars cannot very well
b relied upon to provide such a service as they are for-profit organizations.  I believe ICANN is obliged to step into this domain name administration grey zone and
somehow set up some kind of framework wherein such issues may be resolved.

Are you a member of the DNSO General Assembly Mailing List?  Such things are regularly aired there, and often there are helpful recommendations. See:

Sincerely,

Sotiris Sotiropoulos