De: Rick Wesson [mailto:wessorh@ar.com]
Enviado el: Jueves, 09 de Enero de 2003 04:36 PM
Para: Rodrigo Orenday Serrato
CC: 'Steven Heath'; ga@dnso.org
Asunto: RE: [ga] WHOIS accuracy, and name deletions

Rodrigo,

> As far as I know, domain names are used mostly for websites. I know they
> have other uses, but I was under the impression that the foremost concern
is
> with regard to domain names used for websites.

a popular misconception, domain names are viewed by the public as only
used for webstes, thats because that the only way they use a domain name.
however the vast majority of domains are not just used for websites, they
are used for a unlimited number of things some of which are email, voip,
ftp, instant messaging, gopher and a multitude of other standardized
protocols (see ietf.org) or private sevices (see xmethods.org)

I refrence two websites above but both provide additional services other
than their websites.

-rick

Rick Wesson
CTO, ICANN/GNSO Registrars Constituency