[ga] The big picture. Democracy, transparancy legitamcy, the mandatory fundementals.

Dear Joop and fellow members

You are both right and joop addressed the issues I wanted to raise in getting people to see and start thinking about.

Democracy, transparency and legitimacy are all fundamental requirements to any successful engagement whether it is adopting a technical a standard, an URDP, a management change, a UN resolution or even a war. if any of these requirements are absent the outcome will always be questionable and challenged with failure to deliver and a proportionate level of alienating peoples of the world, depending on the gravity of the matter at hand.

While we may or may not succeed in averting the imminent war  with Iraq, our plan should be to expect no less than proper representation from organisations that are supposedly speaking on our behalf and the only way to do that is to be active, to demand democratic, transparent and legitimate   representation; maybe we can avert tragic things happening 5  or 10 years from now because we became  well structured (we are not today). in the meanwhile the presence of all these 3 elements are mandatory to any development of international standards, global organisations, etc. ...

I thank joop for making the points he did so well and further refining the issues specially that neither the american people nor the iraqi people will be voting on war, meaning they have no say.  We however do have a say in what happens in our name on many issue to the global internet and the IDN issue for example, amongst many others.   our energies are all what we have at times and it is efficiently and effectively spent when directed in those direction as you stated with your example of Karl. but we need more.

Again, Democracy, transparency and legitimacy are the mandatory fundamentals. let us all start demanding them.

Warmest regards, and merry christmas and happy new year to all

Khaled Fattal