RE: [ga] Ignoring the Rules

Danny Younger wrote:-
<snip> .... and nothing in the proposal which forces a
> registrar to clearly state the conditions for a successful transfer either
on their websites or in their terms of service contracts.>

Ross Rader wrote:-
<snip>  <If you are serious with this remark, might I recommend that you
ensure that it is
tabled with the TF?>

- It's already in the TF record. You may have forgotten that during a
teleconference to which individual registrants were invited, a discussion
took place on this exact point and it was generally agreed that Registrants
need a clear explanation in documentary form of transfer processes. Exactly
how that information is to be passed was left to the TF to work out after
the call, which group has clearly dropped the ball, but included in the
suggestions made was an FAQ page on each Registrar website, or a page on
ICANN's website to which the Registrant would be pointed *at the time of an
initial domain name registration*. There may be other suggestions in the
transcripts as well.

Ross wrote:-
<I don't see support for the proposition coming from the
Registrar or Registry constituency, but if the user voice is united on these
points, we may have to reconsider our respective positions.>

I find it very difficult to believe that any user would vote for remaining
ignorant. Name me one user who does not support access to knowledge about
how to transfer an essential service from a poor, expensive provider to an
efficient, cheap one. Common sense dictates there is no need for a debate
here. Added to which there were no objections to this proposal during the
teleconference from the Registrar or Registry constituency or any other
group.

<My preference is
to allow Registrars and Registries to provide shitty service. The market
will eventually separate the wheat from the chaff. Also note that the task
force has discussed this specific point at length.>

Ignorant registrants are not an asset to the industry, especially with
respect to the transfer process, which they are driving. Most registrants, I
would guess, don't have a great deal of experience to judge the quality of
domain name transfer service they receive, so in practical terms, the chaff
can only be weeded from the market after a significant group of users have
first suffered a fairly long period of abuse. The user does not need this
kind of policy to be promoted by the Registrar/ Registry community, which
serves only to prolong the adverse effects they are already suffering.

A better policy for the user is to inform registrants at the time of domain
name registration of their rights to transfer that newly acquired domain to
a competitive registrar, easily and at any time, as well as a step by step
guide about to how to accomplish the task. It would be very easy for ICANN
to host an explanatory document on its website, and to ensure that the
public interest is protected in the process, by insisting that every ICANN
accredited Registrar is required to hyperlink to that explanatory page,
against which the registrant may judge the quality of service they receive,
also to embed the URL into whatever email confirmation the Registrar would
normally send to the domain name registrant at the time of purchase.

This is a reasonable request, since the only right it confers on the user is
the right to know what is going on in the Transfer process. Of course, I
would be most interested to know why the proposal was rejected by the TF
after having consulted with individuals who advocated strongly in support.

Regards,
Joanna