Re: [ga] who are the root server operators?

On Mon, Nov 04, 2002 at 01:11:42PM -0800,
 George Kirikos <gkirikos@yahoo.com> wrote
 a message of 53 lines which said:

> Perusing the list, 10 of the 13 root servers are in the US, leaving
> only 3 outside the US (1 in Japan, 1 in UK and 1 in Sweden).
>
> Are there any plans to expand the list of root-servers, maybe to 26
> from 13, for greater internet stability?

Technically, it would be a very good thing. Politically, I do not
believe that ICANN/USA would accept to relinquish its control. The
rest of the world is not trustworthy.

> Offhand, looking at a map of the world, I would think the following
> countries would be candidates for at least 1 root server:

I suggest to write down explicit criteria for the placement of the
root servers. Decisions could then be based on these
criteria. Connectivity (not physical location) would be the first
one. But the availability of a serious and efficient team to babycare
the machine is another. Ego ("I want a root server near me") should
not be considered.

I'm not aware of such criteria at ICANN. Do they have public criteria?
Do they document the process of decision?

> 4) France (or Italy)

Yes for France :-) Because of the connectivity criterium, the
availability of a great exchange point near the root server is a
premium. In Europe, it means London and Stockholm (which already have
a root server) and then Amsterdam (which has the AMS-IX: it may be a
small country but it is a major European hub, unlike France where the
large Sfinx exchange point is only for national traffic).