Re: [ga] who are the root server operators?

George and all assembly members,

  This is exactly what we [INEGroup] suggested be done some 3+
years ago.  New or additional Root servers to the present USG/Legacy
Root servers are needed and also desired.  However our list at that
time also included a potential Root Server in the African continent
such as perhaps in South Africa.

George Kirikos wrote:

> Hello,
>
> --- Allan Liska <allan@allan.org> wrote:
> > As Paul has already pointed out on nanog, the list of root server
> > operators is located at:
> >
> > http://root-servers.org/
>
> Perusing the list, 10 of the 13 root servers are in the US, leaving
> only 3 outside the US (1 in Japan, 1 in UK and 1 in Sweden).
>
> Are there any plans to expand the list of root-servers, maybe to 26
> from 13, for greater internet stability?
>
> Offhand, looking at a map of the world, I would think the following
> countries would be candidates for at least 1 root server:
>
> 1) Canada (or move 1 from the US here)
> 2) China
> 3) South Korea
> 4) France (or Italy)
> 5) Germany (or Switzerland, or move the Swedish one here)
> 6) India
> 7) Australia
> 8) Brazil (or another in South America)
> 9) Egypt (or another in Africa, like Israel)
> 10) Russia
> 11) Indonesia (or another Asian country)
> 12) Saudi Arabia (or another middle-Eastern nation)
> 13) Mexico (or move 1 from the US here)
>
> I'm sure others have pondered where to optimally located the
> root-servers, for stability, given the geographic, political, and
> economic considerations. My list is the product of just 10 minutes of
> thinking, but I'd be curious to compare it to other people's thoughts
> (I'm sure having 10 out of 13 in the US isn't optimal!). The above
> includes the biggest countries by population and land mass, and also is
> geographically spread out.
>
> Sincerely,
>
> George Kirikos
> http://www.kirikos.com/

Jeffrey A. Williams
E-Mail jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com
Contact Number: 214-244-4827 or 972-244-3801