[ga] RIRs: Competition?

I just read once more that the RIRs (ARIN, APNIC, RIPE, etc.) want to make
more policy themselves and be less 'under' ICANN. Great, I thought at
first. But then, do these RIRs not have even more of a monopoly than
Networksolutions once had? Nobody ever had to do business with NSI to be
able to connect to the internet. There were ccTLDs, and you do not even
have to have a domain name at all for a lot of services (even email can do
without a domain). But you do need an IP number. And you can get it only
from one source.

Should this source be completely free from public control or influence?