Re: [ga] FYI: Future of .su

John C Klensin wrote:

>.....  Remembering that
>stability is almost always in the best interest of the
>international internet community, it may be quite sensible to
>let such domains linger for a long time while, e.g.,
>discouraging new registrations in them.

I remember that some years ago the same issue of the future of .su arose in
a mailing list: I thought it was the GA, but I was unable to find the
reference to it, so I might be wrong.

Anyway, for my own curiosity I contacted the SU NIC, and had the reply that
they were only keeping the domain alive for the current registrations, but
not accepting new ones. I passed the information to the mailing list.

I do believe that this is the proper attitude, i.e. not only "discouraging",
but "stopping" new registrations.
Obviously the registrants under .su will have by now also new entries under
.ru (or.ua, .by, or whatever new country formerly in the URSS they are in),
and with time they might have lost interest in their old names, but what is
the stringent motivation to decommission .su, it escapes me. If there are
users that still... use it, what is the cost and/or harm of keeping it
alive, at least until SU stays in the ISO-3166-1 reserved list (which is
probably for quite a long time)?

Regards
Roberto