Re: [ga] ITU Resolution 102 -- four years later

> We might discuss whether this Elisabeth´s was the best way to reasoning,
but
> the fact is that that the whole world has to pay $6 to a company in the US
> for registering a domain name in the most popular gTLD.
> Moreover, the fact that this gTLD has remained the unchallenged "most
> popular" is not due to the ineptitude of other (domestic or international)
> competitors, but simply to the fact that the introduction of new gTLDs has
> been stopped until recently.
> Nowadays, limited (and late) competition has been introduced, but so much
> time has passed that the .com has been in the meantime become worldwide
the
> symbol itself of the gTLD. In other words, the entry of competitors in the
> gTLD market has been artificially delayed until the .com has had a chance
> build a very high "barreer to entry" to competitors, by virtue of its
> deployment.

This is why its important to stick to the issues and work on resolving them
to a mutually satisfactory conclusion. Those that have the most to gain from
delays are often those that thwart this process at every turn. Lets stop
playing into their hands. It is remarkably easy to open up an effective
dialogue with those that have common interests - and I suspect that there
are far more common interests in this "room" than what the historical
dialogue might immediately indicate.

                       -rwr

"There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like an
idiot."
- Steven Wright

Got Blog? http://www.byte.org/blog

Please review our ICANN Reform Proposal:
http://www.byte.org/heathrow