Re: [ga] ITU Resolution 102 -- four years later

Ross Wm. Rader wrote:

> > Why ICANN maintain that enormous $6 cap fee per domain name
> > in extra-judiciary international space? Why ICANN does not use
> > that money collected worldwide for the benefit of international
> > domain name Registrants?
>
>This might just be the most ridiculous line of reasoning that I've seen for
>a long time. Either that or a very poor attempt at fear-mongering. Which is
>it?

We might discuss whether this Elisabeth´s was the best way to reasoning, but
the fact is that that the whole world has to pay $6 to a company in the US
for registering a domain name in the most popular gTLD.
Moreover, the fact that this gTLD has remained the unchallenged "most
popular" is not due to the ineptitude of other (domestic or international)
competitors, but simply to the fact that the introduction of new gTLDs has
been stopped until recently.
Nowadays, limited (and late) competition has been introduced, but so much
time has passed that the .com has been in the meantime become worldwide the
symbol itself of the gTLD. In other words, the entry of competitors in the
gTLD market has been artificially delayed until the .com has had a chance to
build a very high "barreer to entry" to competitors, by virtue of its
deployment.

Simple.
And it worked.
(but to me it stinks)