Re: [ga] Developing Nations/Whois

Eric and all assembly members,

eric@hi-tek.com wrote:

> Each unique internet community of users has unique needs and concerns.
> Privacy is entirely different in India then it is in Mexico. The examples are
> too obvious and many.
>
> However there are some universal truths that we may hold self evident.  The
> higher the level of privacy the better for the individual.  The lower the level
> of privacy the better for big business. Now if you are hungry do you want
> privacy or a job?

  If I am hungry, I should not have to sacrifice my privacy for a job.
This is a canonized principal of what the Privacy Act in the US
is all about.  Hence Eric, your question, leading in it's nature,
presupposes a either - or requirement.  That sort of logic
and idea was rejected over 100 years ago now...

> As to expiry and developing nations, I know of no place where if you do not
> continue to pay for a service you still receive it, oh it may be a communal
> payment or a subsidy but you pay.  Furthermore in most developing countries for
> most services you get no written bill, much less friendly reminders.

  How true.  And in some ways very unfortunate as well as unreasonable.
This however does not presuppose that such should remain.  In fact,
in Afghanistan for instance, this very attitude is being eroded now as it
should be.  And that is only one example...  There are many many more.

> Users and individuals in developing countries are entitled to two things when it
> comes to the Internet, dignity of the individual and a chance at using it.
> Within these two rules you have Accessibility, reliability and Security.
> Keep in mind also that the violations of privacy are quite generally directly
> proportionate to your electronic/telecommunications access. It is very difficult
> to interrupt a family dinner with a phone solicitation if the family has no
> phone.

  Good point to this issue, Whois.    As the present Task Forces recommendations
seem to require that a registrant have a contact Phone #.  I believe as do
many if not most of our [INEGroup] members, feel such a requirement is
not realistic and impedes participation at the Registrant level.  Hence
this could be considered a restraint of trade issue...

> "Michael D. Palage" wrote:
>
> > Here are some additional comments that I received that I would like to share
> > and which I believe supports a more flexible approach to inaccurate whois.
> >
> > Although I remain committed to solving the Whois problems, I believe only a
> > comprehensive solution addressing the various issues/concerns will work. I
> > regret to say that a piecemeal solution is likely to fail.
> >
> > Mike

Jeffrey A. Williams
E-Mail jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com
Contact Number: 214-244-4827 or 972-244-3801