Re: [ga] Text Posting of Michael Palage's Comments on Whois TaskForce

On Wed, 23 Oct 2002, Michael D. Palage wrote:

I am slowly digesting your comments, which are, as usual, interesting and
enlightening.

Right now I only want to deal with one point:

> ·	Some of the Whois Task Force's recommendations explicitly rely on changes
> to the ICANN Registrar Accreditation Agreement (RAA). Per Louis Touton's
> note of October 20, 2002, ICANN lacks the contractual authority to
> unilaterally renegotiate this or other agreements.

Let's not forget the value of comity.

ICANN had no way of forcing Verisign/NSI into the major amendment of their
contract with ICANN, but with the carrot that ICANN offered, the perpetual
control of .com, Verisign was happy to be induced.

What I'm saying is that perhaps there is no unilateral power, but there is
value in future comfortable relations.

At the risk of violating ICANN's policy of having comments in the form of
messages tossed over a wall and disappearing from view, please pardon me
if I take this opportunity to post my own comment on the report: