RE: [ga] Legal Briefing

At 2:55 PM -0400 10/21/02, Michael D. Palage wrote:
>I never said that people and businesses that register and use domain names
>are not important. They in fact have the ultimate responsibility of speaking
>with their wallet in choosing their registrar of record and what tld they
>register in.

Close, but no biscuit.

You're forgeting one very important fact. Once you have developed a
business that depends on the continued availablity of a particular domain
name, you'll need a pretty big wallet to vote with your feet (by moving to
a different TLD), due to losing nearly all the built-up traffic (from
branding and links).

Basically, if a regisTRY changes the ground rules post-registration,
they've got you by the short and curlies.

The WLS, for instance, is a ground rule change that will force existing
registrants to pay Verisign a $49 yearly "insurance policy" so that they
can guarantee they'll keep the name is some idiot sends a delete command.

--
Andrew P. Gardner
barcelona.com stolen, stmoritz.com stays. What's uniform about the UDRP?