Re: [ga] FYI: Future of .su

Karl, thank you very much for clarifications from Board side.

The IANA function performed by ICANN is subject to the Purchase
Order from the US Government, issued on 9 February 2000,
http://www.icann.org/general/iana-contract-09feb00.htm
with provision for performance progress reports each 3 months.
The initial Purchase Order has been modified on 21 March 2001,
http://www.icann.org/general/iana-contract-21mar01.htm
with provision for performance progress reports each 6 months.
The corresponding NTIA page is
http://www.ntia.doc.gov/ntiahome/domainname/iana.htm

The March 2001 IANA function purchase order reads:
    2.1.1.2 Perform administrative functions associated with
    root management. This function involves facilitation and
    coordination of the root zone of the domain name system.
    It includes receiving requests for and making routine updates
    of the country code top level domain (ccTLD) contact and
    nameserver information. It also includes receiving delegation
    and redelegation requests, investigating the circumstances
    pertinent to those requests, and reporting on the requests.
    This function, however, does not include authorizing
    modifications, additions, or deletions to the root zone file
    or associated information that constitute delegation or
    redelegation of top level domains.

This statement is clear.

Besides, I recall John Klensin explaining several times that
country codes such as .SU or .GB will remain preserved in the
DNS for stability purposes.
John ?

Elisabeth