The lesson of .INT (Re: [ga] Interesting WIPO ruling re: NewZealand.biz)

On Thu, 10 Oct 2002, at 19:12 [=GMT-0400], Dan Steinberg wrote:

> ummmmm I have a bit of trouble following this discussion. Can you tell me what
> law (either national law, treaty or regulation enacted under some sort of
> multilateral agreement) must be conformed to in order to preclude someone
> international organization from registering in .org?
>
> Come to think of it...what would define an international organization as such in
> the first place? The Who play all over the world. Are they an international
> organization? The Canadian Relief Fund for Chernobyl VIctims in Belarus(CRFCCB)
> is based in Canada. Are they an international organization?

It takes a treaty and at least 3 member countries, I would think, on the
basis of a look at the existing .INT domains. E.g.

- eurofish.int

6 members who ratified the treaty, 4 who will, so 10 in all.

- basel.int

This is according to IANA whois registered to "For more information,
contact int-dom@iana.org". Naturally Basel is on the border of 3
countries.

- abis.int

Something about the Alps, more than 3 countries (Basel.int is also
near the Alps; Geneva, where WIPO.int is, is in them).

- palestine.int

IANA whois says the registrant is: "palestine.int Registrant". The
nameservers for this domain are both down when I write this, or perhaps
they don't exist anymore, so looking at the website (if one exists) is
impossible. And we cannot even contact int-dom@iana.org for more
information.

- sopac.int

This is the "South Pacific Applied Geoscience Commission" (which lives in
Suva, Fiji). We all know there are very many independent islands in the
South Pacific. I could not ascertain that there is a treaty, since
www.sopac.int (which does resolve) was unreachable a minute ago from
Europe. Anyone from California who can try?

- ripe.int

YES, the European brother of ARIN and APNIC! Treaty? Countries? OK, this
must be the exception that confirms the rule as such. (Like GG and JE
among the ccTLDs.)

And what about icann.int? No, IANA whois says:

"Domain icann.int not found."

How can RIPE be _under_ ICANN then?

Maybe we should have a closer look at .INT for more lessons.