Re: [ga] Interesting WIPO ruling re: NewZealand.biz

> The Mullah says:
>
> > Domain name registrars should be required only to recognize truly
> > legitimate countries.
>
> unfortunately, a lot of countries has been legitimated after an unjust
> war.
> Will we legitimate the war? Do we want to convert the Internet in a
> replica of the stupid organization of the 'real' world?

As Mr. Serrato advises, we must ensure that only sovereign countries are the
ones which control who should be able to register the names of sovereign
countries, then of course we can only recognize the "real" countries.

Someone will have to be in charge of deciding what is or is not a country.
Someone else will have to be in charge of deciding the names of the real
countries.  For example "Germany" is not a country - "Deutschland" is a
country.   Just because English-speakers call "Deutschland" as "Germany" does
not make "Germany" the name of that country.  So, anyone can register
"Germany", but Mr. Serrato wants "Deutschland" to be reserved for the
government of that country.  Mr. Serrato can clarify the rule that is so
clear to him, if I have misunderstood him.

Of course, there are countries whose official names cannot be written in
ASCII, so those countries we do not need to worry about.  That includes most
Asian countries.  There is no final standard for chinese domain names, for
example, so China does not get a domain name.  Unless of course, you want to
say that English is the official language of the world, and the Roman
alphabet is the official alphabet of the world.  Then we will make Mr.
Serrato's rule to apply to the English names of the "real" countries as
written in the Roman alphabet.  Mr. Serrato, of course, will have to abandon
attempts to use his native alphabet, which includes things like "ll" as a
single letter (which is absurd), and "n" with a tilde over it (which probably
only his linguistic co-travelers know how to coax out of a normal 110 key
keyboard).

Israel is not a legitimate country, and their name is in the Hebrew script,
so that is two strikes against them.

"CT" is the state of Connecticut in the United States.  So of course you
cannot use it for your land, which is inside of another country already.

We will also put Mr. Serrato in charge of things such as who controls the
island of Cyprus and the Falkland Islands, so that he can determine who
should control the domain names.  Of course, we could give falklands.com to
the UK, and give malvinas.com to the Argentinas, and then quietly hope they
don't notice.

In any event, the rules for determining (a) what is a country, (b) what is
the name of a country, are very clear to Mr. Serrato, so he will be able to
make these decisions very simply.

Fortunately, even though we are having a hard time with finding new caves to
hide in, we are very happy with our domain name.

Regards,

Mullah Omar
mullah@taliban.com