Re: Generics [Was RE: [ga] Interesting WIPO ruling re: NewZealand.biz]

> "As you know, TEQUILA is not only our foremost national
> liquor, but it is also an apellation controlle, which may not be used for
> anything else but for the identification of the aforesaid beverage."

Forgive my limited understanding re: AOCs, but aren't they applied only to
ensure that specific products from a particular region can bear the
designation? What I mean is, there is no international statute that prevents
a Swiss businessperson from naming his new airline "Champagne Air" or a New
York designer from peddling "Tequila Boots" or... in other words, isn't it
the case that an AOC (or an INN to open another can of worms) has very
little to do with trademarks and even less to do with domain names?

                       -rwr

"There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like an
idiot."
- Steven Wright

Got Blog? http://www.byte.org/blog

Please review our ICANN Reform Proposal:
http://www.byte.org/heathrow