Re: [ga] Interesting WIPO ruling re: NewZealand.biz

Hello,

--- DPF <david@farrar.com> wrote:
> In fact official NZ government policy on the issue of country names
> as
> domain names is that they should not be precluded.  This can be found
> in the submission at
> http://ecommerce.wipo.int/domains/sct/comments/0009.html.

Great link and research, thanks.

I wonder if they'll try to go after the NewZealand.com now? It's owned
by a company that has several other country names. Interestingly, they
keep a disclaimer of:

"This site is owned and operated by Virtual Countries, Inc. and is not
affiliated with any government entity associated with a name similar to
the site domain name."

to protect themselves, however I personally don't think that *should*
be necessary. That disclaimer doesn't appear at the bottom of
www.Canada.com (although info does appear in a FAQ), or www.USA.com, so
perhaps visitors to those sites are more sophisticated? There shouldn't
be a presumption that they are run by or associated with the
governments or other entities that might happen to have a similar name.
A few folks presume that the earth is flat, but we don't need to have
disclaimers on maps saying "For non-flat earth society users only."

Sincerely,

George Kirikos
http://www.kirikos.com/