Re: [ga] Interesting WIPO ruling re: NewZealand.biz

On Tue, 8 Oct 2002 08:41:52 -0700 (PDT), George Kirikos
<gkirikos@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I came across the following today:
>
>http://arbiter.wipo.int/domains/decisions/html/2002/dbiz2002-00270.html
>
>It was quite a strange matter, and the Respondent basically wanted it
>transferred to the New Zealand government.

It appears from inquiries I have made locally that the application was
not made by the NZ Government but by Trade New Zealand - a government
owned organisation, presumably with the consent of their Minister as
his name was used.  Other sections of the Government with an interest
in these things were not in the loop on this.

In fact official NZ government policy on the issue of country names as
domain names is that they should not be precluded.  This can be found
in the submission at
http://ecommerce.wipo.int/domains/sct/comments/0009.html.

"New Zealand law, custom or practice does not preclude the use of
country names under any circumstances. New Zealand does not see any
reason why the domain names should be excepted from this general
rule."

DPF
--
david@farrar.com