Re: [ga] ERC: Charts, individual participation

DPF <david@farrar.com> wrote:

> Incredibly disappointing but not just in this important area.  It
> hasn't dealt with ccTLD or RIR issues at all so has left the ccTLDs
> out and hasn't changed anything with the ASO.  There is no detail
> about the transition board (which will have full powers to change
> bylaws in future) and which directors will stay on.

I find utmostly interesting the role of TAC, and how, de facto
the ccTLD Managers and the RIRs has been given
to the TAC within their proposed mission, while at the same time
the TAC "will have no role whatsoever in connection with the
IANA's work for the IAB/IETF/IRTF".

By doing so ICANN does not care if the ccNSO is and will remain empty.
They may even agree with us there is no global ccTLD policy matters.

Best,
Elisabeth
--

In D.Advisory Committees:
http://www.icann.org/committees/evol-reform/final-implementation-report-02oct02.htm#3D

   The ERC has prepared a carefully limited charter for the Technical
   Advisory Committee (which does not presently exist) based on input
   from the bodies to be included in that committee. It is important
   to note that the Technical Advisory Committee will have no role
   whatsoever in connection with the IANA's work for the IAB/IETF/IRTF.
   The Technical Advisory Committee has been painstakingly designed
   to accommodate numerous, differing views as to what structure
   will best contribute to its limited purpose.

The TAC Charter is in:
http://www.icann.org/committees/evol-reform/proposed-bylaws-02oct02.htm#XI-2.2
It reads on TAC's responsibilities:

   2. To communicate on technical matters with a broad range of
      persons and organizations, including (i) the operators and
      managers of Internet naming and address allocation infrastructure
      services; (ii) companies and individuals who implement the
      Internet naming and addressing standards; and (iii) those bodies
      with direct responsibility for Internet naming and address
      allocation matters (including, in addition to the organizations
      represented on the TAC itself, the regional Internet registries
      ("RIRs"), name registries, registrars, etc). The TAC is expected
      to advise the Board of the relevance and progress of technical
      activities in any of these quarters that could affect Board
      decisions or other ICANN actions, and to draw attention to
      global technical standards issues that affect policy development
      within the scope of ICANN's mission.

   3. To report periodically to the Board on its activities.