Re: [ga] ERC: Charts, individual participation

On Thu, 03 Oct 2002 11:16:26 +0200, Alexander Svensson
<alexander@svensson.de> wrote:

>I have prepared some charts to illustrate the 2 October
>ERC recommendations. As usual, they're an (unofficial)
>help to clarify things a bit; if you think you have
>found a mistake, please let me know.

Thanks for these again Alexander.  It continues to amaze me that ICANN
with its 20c/domain name can't provide these when you do it so quickly
at 0c/name!

>- replaces the seats for individual domain name holders
>  on the NomCom with ALAC seats (where ALAC members
>  are appointed by the Board)

I think people need to be very aware of this.  The ALAC is not bottom
up but a top down board appointed structure that will have zero
accountability to internet users.  Obscure promises that one day it
may be bottom up should be treated with the same scepticism as Esther
Dyson's solemn pledge to Congress that ICANN would never remove the
elected at large seats.

>In other words, it fails to provide individual users and
>domain name registrants with a voice and a seat at the
>table. Very disappointing.

Incredibly disappointing but not just in this important area.  It
hasn't dealt with ccTLD or RIR issues at all so has left the ccTLDs
out and hasn't changed anything with the ASO.  There is no detail
about the transition board (which will have full powers to change
bylaws in future) and which directors will stay on.

What it appears to do is set ICANN up to do nothing but review itself
for the next two years or so, no doubt claiming ongoing reform efforts
will be a substitute for actual achievements.

The ERC blueprint will make ICANN the IOC of the Internet -
unaccountable and self perpetuating.

DPF
--
david@farrar.com