Re: [ga] FW: Comment from the gTLD Registry Constituency

On 2002-10-02 07:36:46 -0400, Chuck Gomes wrote:

>So it seems to me that we should arrange a methodology that
>prevents any one group from having so much power that they can
>control the process and thereby remove incentives to work on
>solutions that all stakeholders might be willing to support.

One possible way to achieve that (which is, by the way, also
suggested in the latest Markle report; Bret has a link in his blog)
is to ask for multiple majorities: A majority of all votes on the
council AND a majority of suppliers' votes, or something like that.

There's a large variety of ways in which these parameters can be
adjusted.

Of course, that approach still doesn't solve situations where
various groups of users may have opposing interests, for instance
present domain name holders on the one side and intellectual
property holders interested in obtaining existing domain names on
the other side.

(Probably, in these cases, the best solution is one which isn't
satisfactory for _any_ side...  Which reminds me of a saying: There
are three kinds of international contracts - (1) those where one
party is excited and one is unsatisfied.  These contracts will be
broken at the earliest opportunity.  (2) Those where both parties
are excited.  These contracts won't hold when reality comes in and
excitement stops.  (3) Those where no party is really satisfied.
These are the contracts which hold.)

--
Thomas Roessler                        http://log.does-not-exist.INFO/