Re: [ga] Loss of voting rights, October 20, 2002

Karl,

You wrote:  "Never during my term on the board has this question been
discussed by the board."

On 13 December 2001, the Council sent its Resolution on Funding the DNSO
Secretariat to the ICANN Board.  Subsequently the Budget Advisory Group sent
a counter-recommendation to the Board, and ICANN Management adopted the
latter recommendation.  In response to this effort to undercut the consensus
of the DNSO by the registries and registrars, Phil Sheppard wrote directly to
Linda Wilson, Chair of the Finance Committee for an explanation.  The letter
was copied to Ivan, Helmut, and Jon Cohen.

Receiving no response from director Wilson or any other director, Phil wrote
once more, this time also copied to Stuart Lynn, Alejandro Pisanty and Louis
Touton.  Once again, no response.

Somehow I'm not surprised that the entire Board can receive notification of a
Council resolution and never act to discuss it.  I am also not surprised that
letters sent directly to six individual directors are ignored, not discussed
and don't even warrant the courtesy of a reply to the Council list.
Meanwhile the Board is quite comfortable reimbursing the GAC Secretariat to
the tune of $75,000.

Be sure to thank your fellow Board members for their responsiveness to the
Community.  Glad to see that they are doing such an outstanding job keeping
abreast of the issues.