Re: [ga] FW: Comment from the gTLD Registry Constituency

----- Original Message -----
From: "Gomes, Chuck" <snips

Sent: Tuesday, October 01, 2002 4:25 AM
Subject: RE: [ga] FW: Comment from the gTLD Registry Constituency

> .  But as you
> well know, a lot of ccTLD registries are not restricted to their own
> geographical region; they function essentially like gTLD registries on a
> global basis.

Name them.

Then, prove that their operations are outside the scope of the sovereign
power.

In those cases, I see little difference between ccTLDs and
> gTLDs because users expand beyond local boarders and associated policy
> issues are the pretty much the same.

Oh, puleeze!
You know perfectly well that the fact that their users might have more than
one geographic location makes them  NOTHING like a gtld. They have a local
internet community -you have none -they have a single national government
making unitary laws -you have the GAC to compensate for the lack of a single
legal system  -they exist to serve their LIC, as trustees while your rights
derive from a contract with ICANN and are absent any notion of
trusteeship.... the list is large and unanswerable.

When your right to run dot com is answerable to the dot commoners, you might
be approaching conditions akin to a cctld.

Give this one away, Chuck.

Regards
Peter Dengate Thrush
Senior Vice Chair