Fwd: Re: [ga] FW: Comment from the gTLD Registry Constituency

Karen and Don:

In reality, IMO, the bottom line is that ICANN should have little or nothing
to do with dictating how a registry should operate, nor should it have
anything to do with pricing or consumer protection.  The only area where
ICANN should be involved is determination of whether the registry can operate
technically to provide the required service to the community.

As in any other business, the consumer will decide whether he wants to do
business wth a particular company.  If they get
good service for reasonable prices, they will come back.  If not, they will
leave.

I think the only possible exception would be in the case of of the .com
registry since it was handed to a firm by the USG.  That seems to imply some
sort of control or regulation.  However, if there are many (not just four or
five) gtlds available for the public and the one original registry is then
just one of many, there should be little regulation necessary.  They will
sink or swim based on the service they provide.  Consumer protection is built
into US law.  For companies outside the US, there are laws governing their
actions as well, and it is up to the consumer to learn what protections they
might have with those companies in those countries.

With the advent of "registrars" mandated by ICANN, all we have is a vertical
monopoly in one tld - .com, which has now been extended for who knows how
long.  So be it.  However, with other registries, there are different rules,
different criteria and different pricing and different business models.

Let the market decide. Let ICANN stay out of dictating business and just
introduce a gazillion tlds for the public to choose from.  Even though most
people on this list don't like it, there are thousands of tlds available now.
It hasn't hurt servers one bit.  It works just fine.  Include all of them in
all the roots and just watch people enjoy choice.

Leah