Re: [ga] IAB on ICANN Mission

On Mon, 23 Sep 2002 23:49:06 +0000, "Roberto Gaetano"
<ploki_xyz@hotmail.com> wrote:

>David Farrar wrote:
>

>>So the RIRs, the IAB and the ccTLDs are all saying that ICANN is not
>>listening and trying to impose decisions top-down.
>>
>>Is there anyone left for ICANN to piss off?
>>

>IPC? BC?

Heh.  Now that Mr Sims has indicated his support of the
registry/registrar position over the IPC/BC position (which
statistically indicates a 98% likelihood of how the Board will vote) I
think IPC and BC can be added to the peeved off list :-)

>More seriously, what do RIRs, IAB and ccTLDs have in common?
>The first thing that comes to my mind is that they were working reasonably
>well *before* ICANN, and therefore their first concern is how to continue
>working *in spite of* ICANN.

Absolutely.  ICANN has to date provided almost nothing of benefit to
ccTLDs and has incurred significant costs to them and post a number of
risks.  As you observed RIRs and IAB are same boat.

>The point is that ICANN was created for solving problems that were mostly
>related to gTLDs: expansion of the namespace, introduction of competition,
>dispute resolution, and so on. They are all basically saying that ICANN
>should fix the things that are broken, and not the ones that are not.

I could not agree more.  In that gTLD area they have actually done a
not totally bad job with competitive registrars and some new gTLDs.
But their obsession with trying to interfere in other areas is what is
crippling them in terms of retaining community support.

DPF
--
david@farrar.com
ICQ 29964527