Re: [ga] FW: Comment from the gTLD Registry Constituency

George and all assembly members,

George Kirikos wrote:

> Chuck,
>
> --- "Gomes, Chuck" <cgomes@verisign.com> wrote:
> > the Internet) and let the market work freely.  Then and only then
> > will users
> > be broadly represented.  Finally, those businesses under contract who
> > ignore
> > the statements made by users in the marketplace will lose.
>
> All of the arguments you made could have been made from the other side,
> and have been. This "holier than thou" attitude from the "contracted
> parties" is hilarious to watch. Does Jeff Williams write your letters?

  Thank you for the attribution here George.  However I think Chuck
spoke pretty well all by himself for "Verisign's" interests.  >;)

> :) Verisign is a one-trick pony (meeting the needs of its consumers
> isn't that trick!), and I hope to be there when it meets its destiny.

  >;)  Well they seem to have done pretty well so far although for the
life of me I often wonder how or why...

> As for your "final" conclusion, that might be true, if only there was
> no monopoly by those businesses, wouldn't you agree? The place wher
> there is no monopoly, at the registrar layer, is showing that Verisign
> is unable to compete on a level playing field.

  I don't know George, Verisign is still the "Big Dog" so far...  I am not
sure as to why and yes they are loosing market share.  But that's
a good indication that competition is working well, don't you think?

> Control of the .com registry as a monopoly allows Verisign to dictate
> to its consumers, as you well know, unless that abusive monopoly is
> countered. Having a monopolist talk about letting "the market work
> freely" is not the answer, it's just another sign of wanting
> unrestrained power to abuse the market.

  Now here you have a good point from a registry stand point.

  Verisign should have never been given .COM by ICANN.  There
should have also been and can still be, a real TLD that can effectively
compete with .COM.  .ECOM perhaps?

> Sincerely,
>
> George Kirikos
> http://www.kirikos.com/
>
> P.S. Is there a pattern in Chuck's postings? Everytime VRSN stock takes
> a beating, he seems to post more. Might make an interesting academic
> study for someone to analyze the correlation....

Jeffrey A. Williams
E-Mail jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com
Contact Number: 214-244-4827 or 972-244-3801