Re: [ga] Antitrust Violations

John and all assembly members,

John Berryhill wrote:

> > A collusion on the part of registrars with registries to not
> > allow certain
> > proposals to become policy is assuredly an antitrust violation,
>
> No.  Fixing prices among competitors is an antitrust violation.  Are you
> saying that every lobbying organization in Washington is engaged in
> anticompetitive collusion?

  I believe this is what Danny is concluding, yes.  The question remains
is, is he right?  Perhaps and than again Perhaps not..

> When the automobile manufacturers pool their
> lobbying efforts to dissuade Congress from raising fuel efficiency
> standards, they are not violating anti-trust law.

  Apples and oranges here to a degree John.  Pardon me but making such
a comparison may or may not be valid.  Anti-trust law as it applies
to the internet is not anywhere near as well developed and in the
auto industry which you use in your example here.  Hence the
comparison, although may have some merit, still has some
significant differences.

> Business associations,
> professional societies, and standards organizations all involve cooperative
> efforts among economic competitors to regulate practices and policies.  They
> are not colluding to fix prices.

  Depends on what those competitors are regulating or practicing as to
a particular policy, and whom and in what way those policies effect.
Price fixing is far different from letting the market determine the price,
for instance.

> One of the things I believe Mr. Palage was driving at was the disconnect
> between the standard domain registration contract terms required in the
> registrar accreditation agreement, which assumes a registrar-registrant
> relationship, and the practice among some up and coming registrars of
> building a business model around a registrar-reseller-registrant
> relationship.  However, putting specific words into his mouth on the basis
> of abbreviated minutes which he may not have read or approved is hardly
> fair.

  Agreed here.  Nice read!  >;)

Jeffrey A. Williams
E-Mail jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com
Contact Number: 214-244-4827 or 972-244-3801