Re: [ga] Cyberspace Security and the Root(s)

On 19 Sep 2002, at 22:42, Roberto Gaetano wrote:

> Marc Schneiders wrote:
>

> >Several independant sets of rootservers are better than just one.
> >Naturally these sets do not have to have different information. Ideally
> >they carry identical data.
> >

> Thank you, I could not have used myself better words.
>
> The ideal situation is indeed to have a system of servers that carry
> identical data. In fact, what about 13 copies of the same data, scattered
> in different continents, whose information is guaranteed to be identical by
> a co-ordinated effort of the 13 managers?
>
> Maybe thatīs what we need to implement, I wonder why nobody has thought
> about this simple and ideal solution!

Where did you get the idea that no one has thought of it before?  There
is little tolerance on this list for such discussions, but it has been
discussed for years.  In acutality, that is precisely what the roots
attempt to do now - at least the major roots.  There is even a mail list for
root managers hosted by Abraham Sinclair.  That list is meant for just
such coordination and cooperation.  Further development along those
lines would certainly enhance root operations world wide.  However, the
major roots will include all the known TLDs as opposed to just the few
that ICANN deems accepatable in its eyes.  All that means, however, is
that there is really a great deal more for the public than what is included
in the USG root.

As long as ICANN is not willing to even communicate along these lines,
there will be more of the status quo and precedents set for problem
causing decisions such as duplication of TLDs.  That's a bandwagon
many people are jumping on as a result of what ICANN did.  ICANN
wants total control of what people on the internet can access via TLDs
and as long as this is true, there will be little the rest of the root
managers can do.  While they seem to be willing to cooperate with one
another, ICANN is not willing to even come to the table.

Leah