Re: [ga] Fwd: LACTLD comments on Zone Transfers

On Thu, Sep 19, 2002 at 01:16:31PM -0400, Jonathan Weinberg wrote:

> [...]  On the other hand, I'd guess that zone file access would
> simplify ICANN's task if it chose to redelegate a ccTLD away from an
> operator unhappy with that change.  Anyone want to talk about this
> explicitly?

First of all, let me say that NIC Chile currently allows access to
its zone file by IANA, and also that we are in full agreement with the
LACTLD statement that says that IANA is wrong in making this access a
precondition to processing urgent technical updates for a ccTLD.

When discussing this with colleagues in the ccTLD community, a couple of
them have warned us that, by letting IANA access our zone, we are making
ourselves vulnerable to a hostile redelegation. ICANN's FAQ actually hints
as such a use in <http://www.iana.org/faqs/tld-zone-access-faq.htm#Q8>,
when it says that their copy of the zone file could be used to maintain
DNS service in case of a delegation dispute.

We, on the other hand, think that it is just not realistic to think
that anything resembling normal operation of a ccTLD could be attempted
using the zone file alone. So, fears and hopes about what can be done
with the zone file in terms of forced redelegations are, in our view,
greatly exaggerated.

Patricio Poblete
NIC Chile