Re: [ga] Cyberspace Security and the Root(s)

Roberto and all assembly members,

Roberto Gaetano wrote:

> Marc Schneiders wrote:
>

> >Several independant sets of rootservers are better than just one.
> >Naturally these sets do not have to have different information. Ideally
> >they carry identical data.
> >

> Thank you, I could not have used myself better words.

  Agreed here!  >;)

> The ideal situation is indeed to have a system of servers that carry
> identical data. In fact, what about 13 copies of the same data, scattered in
> different continents, whose information is guaranteed to be identical by a
> co-ordinated effort of the 13 managers?

No, this would be a very bad idea to continue for obvious security
and integrity reasons that have been stated and re-stated time and
time again.  The USG/Legacy Root Server set of 13 is not what
March was referring to above that you so graciously and rightly
agreed with, Roberto.  He was referring to multiple sets or unknown
number of root servers.

> Maybe thatīs what we need to implement, I wonder why nobody has thought
> about this simple and ideal solution!

  They have.  Except that as stated above the huge difference is that
ICANN only wants one set of 13 root servers, and that is from
a security and functionality stand point dangerous and irresponsible...

> Regards
> Roberto

Jeffrey A. Williams
E-Mail jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com
Contact Number: 214-244-4827 or 972-244-3801