Re: [ga] icannatlarge.com

Danny and all assembly members,

  As an actual member of ICANNATLARGE.COM only, I must agree
with Danny's question here in it's obvious intent.

  I also must be honest and clear that there are some differences
of opinion amongst the members of ICANNATLARGE.COM as
to their actual desire to be too closely associated with ICANN
and therefore the ALAC.  These may be the very reasons
that ICANN/ALAC has decided at this time to not consider
ICANNATLARGE.COM as an ALAC representative.  As a number
of the ICANNATLARGE.COM members have noted  and in the
the ICANNATLARGE.COM mailing list, the ALAC seems to
be more of a trade association and not an actual membership
organization by which any and all stakeholders/users may
participate openly, freely and transparently.  I also tend to
agree with this assessment as well.  Hence Danny, it may be
that Alejandro has taken the position that he has on this
specific issue.  But it would be nice to hear his reasoning
from him.  Alejandro?

DannyYounger@cs.com wrote:

> Alejandro,
>
> The ICANN Board called "upon the ICANN community to devote sustained energy
> to the creation of At Large structures..."   The ICANN community responded by
> creating icannatlarge.com which now has over 1000 registered members.
>
> While I have never been a member of this group, I do believe that they (as
> the only set of folks to proactively respond to the Board's call), have
> earned the right to a seat on the ALAC.  However, your Second Interim
> Implementation Report did not recommend that they be chosen as an ALAC member
> -- instead the proposal that you endorsed effectively eliminates their
> participation as it calls only for the five members of your Assistance Group
> to form the initial ALAC while awaiting the formation of regional councils
> from which ten additional members will be eventually be drawn.
>
> In light of their commitment to the ICANN process, and in light of the
> massive expenditure of human effort and energy that was required to build
> this organization at the behest of the Board, would it not be eminently
> appropriate for the Board to grant an ALAC seat to a representative of
> icannatlarge.com?

Jeffrey A. Williams
E-Mail jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com
Contact Number: 214-244-4827 or 972-244-3801