Re: [ga] Re: ICANN & Stability

Dear Sabine:

Thank you for your comments. I give specific references to FAQs (see
http://www.iana.org/faqs/tld-zone-access-faq.htm) that address your points.

Reasonable people can always differ on these matters. However, we
believe that we are following long-established policy in a uniform
manner for the reasons stated in the FAQs. There may be better ways
to accomplish the desired stability goals.  (I discuss one idea in my
message to Thomas Roessler.) If so, we would strongly encourage a
review
through the ICANN policy process. It is always useful to re-examine
policies from time to time.

Stuart

Sabine Dolderer/Denic wrote:

>Dear Stuart,

[snip]

>"Longstanding policy" cannot be implemented by unilatteraly
>changing >the rules.

***There is no change to the rules. See FAQ 14-16

>The status of ICP 1 is unclear and in rfc 1591 there is no
>requirement of zonetransfer.

***See FAQ 14

>IANA itself says that in the past there was no check of the zones and
>frankly I have still no idea which technical check can be performed
>by >using the zone.

***See FAQs 5-8

>In our opinion IANA is asking for data which is not needed and IANA is
>not authorized to ask for to perform its function and where DENIC has
>no mandate from it's customers to give away.

***See FAQs 10-14

>>   See the FAQs at <http://www.iana.org/faqs/tld-zone-access-faq.htm>
>>   for a description that we recently posted summarizing for ccTLD
>>   managers the policy, its longstanding basis (documented back to RFC
>>   1591 in March 1994), and the means by which those seeking to change
>>   the policy should proceed.
>
>In RFC 1591 contains no requirement for zonetransfers.

***See FAQs 7, 14
--

Stuart Lynn