Re: [ga] ICANN & Stability

Danny, Stuart and all assembly members,

  It is now and has been clear for sometime that due to ICANN's funding
woes many tasks that have been and are underway, have lacked the
proper ongoing attention that they need or deserve.  Is this a aspect of
incompetence on the part of the ICANN staff?  I would have to say,
partly yes.  However, given the severe and growing lack of trust that
the stakeholder/user community has in ICANN in it's present or
proposed form, this process problem will continue if not become
even more acute.

DannyYounger@cs.com wrote:

> Stuart,
>
> Having read the text of Elisabeth Porteneuve's proposed resolution on name
> server updates (reprinted below), I can't help but get the impression that
> either ICANN/IANA staff is thoroughly incompetent or that you are engaged in
> the process of blackmailing the ccTLD community.  It would seem to me that
> some discussion on this topic is warranted as the assertion has been made
> that ICANN itself has threatened the stability of the Internet (a subject
> that I presume you would take seriously).  As the President and Chief
> Executive Officer of this Corporation, that ostensibly deems the stability of
> the Internet to be its highest priority, can you comment on why your staff
> has failed to process these updates?
>
> Best regards,
> Danny
>
> Whereas the ICANN Evolution and Reform Committee (ERC) has published
> its second implementation report,
> http://www.icann.org/committees/evol-reform/draft-mission-core-values-02sep02.
>
> htm
>
> Whereas the stability of the universal Internet has been part of
> permanent preoccupations since the White Paper document,
> http://www.icann.org/general/white-paper-05jun98.htm
>
> Whereas on 28 November 1998, both the USG and the ICANN committed
> to abide by the principle of Internet stability in the MoU,
> http://www.ntia.doc.gov/ntiahome/domainname/icann-memorandum.htm
>
> Whereas the ccTLD Managers has been awaiting since years
> for correct IANA ccTLD database services, as explicitly specified
> in the Amendment 2 to the MoU of 11 September 2000, requesting
> for "Documentation of IANA procedures for root zone editing,
> root zone generation, and root zone WHOIS service".
>
> Whereas the ccTLD IANA Service Requirements has been restated
> once more in Bucharest on 25 June 2002 and approved unanimously,
> http://www.dnso.org/constituency/cctld/ccTLDbucharest-communique.html
>
> Whereas the ERC reaffirms that "Preserve and enhance the operational
> stability, reliability, security, and global interoperability of
> the Internet" is on top of the list of ICANN Core's values,
>
> Whereas the global interoperability and stability of Internet depends
> on the TLD name servers,
>
> Whereas the recent bankruptcy of KPNQwest, providing secondary
> services to several ccTLD Registries requested for prompt actions
> on IANA side to update the name servers records as requested by
> the ccTLD Managers,
>
> Whereas there is widespread dissatisfaction of ccTLD Managers about
> the ICANN failing to its IANA Function duty, and several name servers
> updates pending since three months (since June 2002),
>
> The NC therefore resolves that:
> The stability of universal Internet is in danger and request
> ICANN to take immediate actions to update ccTLD name servers entries.
>
> http://www.dnso.org/clubpublic/council/Arc11/msg00035.html

Jeffrey A. Williams
E-Mail jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com
Contact Number: 214-244-4827 or 972-244-3801