RE: [ga] Bulk acces...

<snip>

To me there seems to be some misconceptions about what various privacy
laws are meant to protect.  Looking over a variety of the laws that are
applicable in a few countries it seems that people are confusing between
what is allowed to be collected and used and access to correct incorrect
data.

For the most part it is totally acceptable for "private" data to be
collected by third parties where such data is freely available in the
public domain and providing access is permitted for individuals to view
and correct any data held about themselves.  There are also some aspects
of data security covered and this is to a large part related to the type
and amount of data.

I know the above is simplistic but the basics are there.

Like a lot of people from the cold war generation, I value my own
privacy but I do not get paranoid about it.  It seems to me that online
people who normally don't consider privacy to be such a big issue
suddenly decide they want total privacy and no information collected and
available about themselves.  People who are quite happy to have their
details displayed in phone books and other forms of databases suddently
decide they don't want to have their information out in the public at
all.  Where does this come from?  My belief is fear, people are fearful
as others appear to be totally anonymous whilst they have information
exposed.  Is the solution to hide more data away?

My own idea is to make even more information available, there should not
be any anonymous activity on the Networks, all activity should be
traceable.  Take away the fear factor.

Darryl (Dassa) Lynch