RE: [ga] FYI: .org applicant comments (long)

  • To: "Ross Wm. Rader" <ross@tucows.com>, "DNSO General Assembly" <ga@dnso.org>
  • Subject: RE: [ga] FYI: .org applicant comments (long)
  • From: "Karen Elizaga" <karen@elizaga.name>
  • Date: Tue, 3 Sep 2002 18:47:23 +0100
  • Sender: owner-ga@dnso.org

HI Ross,

Thanks for your follow up questions (which appear below).  There should be no mistake or confusion about this:  VeriSign does not own or control GNR, nor would we be dependent on VeriSign to run .org.

The systems we have built are in fact being used to handle the needs of .name - we currently run these systems here in the UK.  As we have described in our application, we entered into an agreement with VeriSign during our pre-launch phase in order to ensure that the .name registry, which is far more complicated a registry than any other because it features email forwarding in addition to third-level domain names, has complete redundancy and reliability.  The system does in fact work.  And we have spent the last year ironing out kinks and working to ensure that it will continue to operate reliably and efficiently.  Remember also that our team has had significant experience since 1999 in running an operation that, while not identical to a registry, posed several of the same challenges (see our comment on this issue under "Gartner, Inc.:  Consistency of Criteria:  Experience").

Regarding the relationship between VeriSign and GNR, VeriSign is simply a minority shareholder in GNR.  VeriSign does not have any operational, policy or other control over GNR, and it will play no role whatsoever in GNR's operation of .org.  To be clear, there is no intention or plan to increase VeriSign's interest in the company or to sell the company to them - or to anyone, for that matter.

If Global Name Registry is chosen to run the .org registry, it will absolutely enhance competition in the registry services industry.  We have devised a pricing structure which will benefit registrars as well as .org registrants; we have come up with innovative programs that will incentivize non-commercial users to venture into the world of .org; we will be servicing the needs of our registrar customers directly; and we will not be funneling any .org revenues to any other registry operator.

I hope that helps.

Regards.
KE

K, understood - a couple of further questions then Karen.

In your response to the eval's you indicate that you are using, exclusively,
technical systems that were developed in house, and that these systems have
been designed to handle the needs of .org. Why aren't these same systems
being used to handle the needs of .name? Despite the allegations that you
are making against Neustar and Afilias, it would seem to me that they are
better positioned, technically, to run the operation simply by viture of
having spent the last two years building and ironing out their technical
operations in the .us, .info and .biz contexts whereas with GNR, what we get
sort of amounts to a "we've built something that doesn't rely on Verisign's
infrastructure and it might work." from GNR.

Lastly, which I think is the more important point, we've not heard (or at
least, I haven't seen) what the details of Verisign's economic relationship
is with GNR. Given that we have a limited field of registry operators and
given the competition is key to supplier innovation, decent price
structures, service etc. (and given that I like to think that we are an
important customer of the new registry operator) it would be useful to know
what the details of this relationship are in order that I/we can make an
informed judgement as to whether or not GNR's relationship with Verisign is
one that I can believe will not work against my interests over the longer
term.

Pointers to past comments and/or clarifications here would be useful.

Thanks,

                     -rwr

Got Blog? http://www.byte.org/blog

"People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of
thought which they seldom use."
 - Soren Kierkegaard