[ga] 2002 3:219 .INFO...."root servers for .biz"....??...do you mean .BIZ TLD servers ?

----- Original Message -----
From: "Allan Liska" <allan@allan.org>
> JF> "root servers for .biz"....??...do you mean .BIZ TLD servers ?
>
> JF> Are you familiar with the DNS and how it works ?
>
> Yes I am.  Every TLD has a series of root nameservers.  These root
> nameservers maintain the database of domains within that TLD.  In
> addition, there are the root nameservers used by recursive nameservers
> to find information about various TLDs.
>
> The root nameservers for the .BIZ TLD supported by ICANN are:
>
> A.GTLD.biz.             315874  IN      A       209.173.53.162
> B.GTLD.biz.             466355  IN      A       209.173.57.162
> C.GTLD.biz.             460739  IN      A       209.173.60.65
> D.GTLD.biz.             471986  IN      A       213.86.51.129
> E.GTLD.biz.             476147  IN      A       209.173.58.65
> F.GTLD.biz.             464256  IN      A       209.173.58.66

This appears to be one of the TLD Clusters set up on the "toy" 32-bit, IPv4, legacy Internet
as part of the Proof-of-Concept market trial development for the .BIZ TLD. Using the term
"root" can be confusing for people. Root servers may point at this TLD Cluster or they may
point at another TLD Cluster that provides a redundant "Mirror Registry" operation. That is
what .ORG will have shortly. .ORG will operate independent TLD Clusters in parallel. Many
of the TLDs do this for better reliability and to avoid having a single-point-of-corporate-failure.
http://vuesoft.net/zonexchange/rsc/AIRS.txt
"107 TLDs have multiple entries"

.INFO is a good example. There is a Mirror Registry for the .INFO TLD[1]. In the end, with all of
the TLDs, the goal is to develop a large base of [SLD].TLD owners. Each of them have 2 or more
SLD nameservers which they should register in both of the Mirror Registries. Since it is all part of
the Proof-of-Concept phase of the expansion of the name space, people can use the IPv4 *sandbox*
to experiment before moving to the 128-bit DNS and full commercial deployment. As an aside, one
can see in the above .BIZ TLD Cluster several clues about why it is a Proof-of-Concept deployment.
For one reason, using the same 209.173 subnet for multiple servers does not impress reliability experts.
Another reason is that using the TLD itself, to name all the TLD servers makes for a chicken and egg
reliability problem. It is better to have diversity in naming so that other TLD Clusters can help to make
sure that the .BIZ TLD Cluster can be found. The above arrangement ties those servers too tightly to
what are called "root servers" and which are no longer necessary in modern DNS deployments. People
can find the TLD Clusters and point directly at them. Other TLD Clusters can tell people where all the
other TLD Clusters are located. Once found, any member of a TLD Cluster can report all the members
of the TLD Cluster. With the Mirrored Registry arrangement, each TLD Cluster operates as a unit, and
should one TLD Cluster fail, the other can handle the queries. The 128-bit DNS TLD Cluster front-ends
the 32-bit legacy back-end servers to add even more reliability and features. Having various TLD Clusters
allows for the companies running them to more easily change without service being interrupted. As an
example, there have been various companies operating the .INFO TLD Clusters as can be seen below.
The [SLD].INFO owners have to make sure they are Registered in both of the Mirrored Registries.

[1] 2002 3:219 .INFO
http://www.Name-Space.com
http://www.thepricedomain.com/index.php?domainlist=info

IN-ADDR.INFO is registered in both of the .INFO Registries
http://www.analogx.com/cgi-bin/cgidig.exe?DNS=204.74.113.1&Query=in-addr.info&Type=255&submit=Lookup
http://www.analogx.com/cgi-bin/cgidig.exe?DNS=209.48.2.11&Query=in-addr.info&Type=255&submit=Lookup

Jim Fleming
2002:[IPv4]:000X:03DB:...IPv8 is closer than you think...
http://www.iana.org/assignments/ipv4-address-space
http://www.ntia.doc.gov/ntiahome/domainname/130dftmail/unir.txt
2002 3:219 .INFO

http://root-dns.org/vuedig/vuedig_tld.php?record=NS&tld=info
.info - NS Resource Records.

ANIC : AlterNIC : 160.79.129.192
Result = No Response

BORN : Business Oriented Root Network : 213.70.103.18
VueDig Results : Answer = 2 : Authority = 0 : Additional = 2.
info. 2D IN NS TLD2.ULTRADNS.NET.
info. 2D IN NS TLD1.ULTRADNS.NET.

CINICS : Common Interest Network Information Center Society : 216.15.192.130
Result = No Response

iDNS : i-DNS.net International : 208.184.174.7
VueDig Results : Answer = 2 : Authority = 0 : Additional = 2.
info. 2D IN NS TLD1.ULTRADNS.NET.
info. 2D IN NS TLD2.ULTRADNS.NET.

LRS : Legacy Root Servers : 198.41.0.4
VueDig Results : Answer = 2 : Authority = 0 : Additional = 2.
info. 2D IN NS TLD1.ULTRADNS.NET.
info. 2D IN NS TLD2.ULTRADNS.NET.

NSpace : Name.Space : 209.48.2.11
VueDig Results : Answer = 10 : Authority = 0 : Additional = 10.
info. 1D IN NS ROOT8.AUTONO.NET.
info. 1D IN NS NS1.AUTONO.NET.
info. 1D IN NS NS11.AUTONO.NET.
info. 1D IN NS ROOT3.AUTONO.NET.
info. 1D IN NS C.TLD-SERVERS.NET.
info. 1D IN NS NS.AUTONO.NET.
info. 1D IN NS NS10.AUTONO.NET.
info. 1D IN NS MEDIAFILTER.ORG.
info. 1D IN NS NS12.AUTONO.NET.
info. 1D IN NS NS00.ROOT-ZONE.NET.

Nnet : New.net Inc : 206.132.100.42
VueDig Results : Answer = 2 : Authority = 0 : Additional = 2.
info. 1D IN NS TLD1.ULTRADNS.NET.
info. 1D IN NS TLD2.ULTRADNS.NET.

ONIC : The OpenNIC Project : 131.161.247.226
VueDig Results : Answer = 2 : Authority = 0 : Additional = 2.
info. 2D IN NS tld2.ultradns.net.
info. 2D IN NS tld1.ultradns.net.

ORSC : Open Root Server Confederation : 199.166.24.1
VueDig Results : Answer = 10 : Authority = 0 : Additional = 10.
info. 2D IN NS ROOT8.AUTONO.NET.
info. 2D IN NS C.TLD-SERVERS.NET.
info. 2D IN NS NS10.AUTONO.NET.
info. 2D IN NS B.TLD-SERVERS.NET.
info. 2D IN NS NS12.AUTONO.NET.
info. 2D IN NS NS.AUTONO.NET.
info. 2D IN NS NS1.AUTONO.NET.
info. 2D IN NS MEDIAFILTER.ORG.
info. 2D IN NS ROOT3.AUTONO.NET.
info. 2D IN NS NS00.ROOT-ZONE.NET.

ORSN : Open Root Server Network : 217.146.140.67
VueDig Results : Answer = 0 : Authority = 2 : Additional = 2.
info. 2D IN NS TLD1.ULTRADNS.NET.
info. 2D IN NS TLD2.ULTRADNS.NET.

TINC : The Internet Namespace Cooperative : 64.6.65.10
Result = No Response

TPR : The PacificRoot : 204.107.129.2
VueDig Results : Answer = 3 : Authority = 0 : Additional = 3.
info. 2D IN NS us.universalroot.com.
info. 2D IN NS uk.universalroot.com.
info. 2D IN NS hk.universalroot.com.