Re: [ga] WHOIS policy primer

On 27 Aug 2002, at 23:50, Don Brown wrote:

> If the availability of the WhoIs data has caused some harm to anyone,
> then it should be a point of concern.  Automobiles have also caused
> some harm, but that's a different subject.

We all have been told of harm caused.  It is an issue, but one that is
ignored.  As for autos, your analogy would be like saying that the DNS
has caused harm.  No one is saying get rid of the DNS.  If you want to
find the owner of an auto, most states now will not just hand out the
database information to any individual who asks.  Most states also do
not use SSN#'s for driver's licenses and won't simply provide you with a
driver's license number.  If you provide your SSN# or drivers' license
number for ID purposes, you have the right to insist it not be shared by
third parties.

> Perhaps regulation of the users of the data is better and more
> absolute than revoking access to all.  Maybe that idealistic and not
> very pragmatic, but here has to be a coming together somewhere.

If that were feasible, given the reasons for the existence of the Whois
currently, I might agree.  It is not feasible, however.  First, every
registrar and registry would have to cooperate.  Second, every country
would have to cooperate.  ICANN and its backers are certainly NOT
going to agree to keep the information private, are they.  Restricting
users of the data is the same as requiring a legal order to obtain it, IMO.
 Other than a tech contact, what would you "need" the data for?

If your use of the WHOIS is for pursuit of domain name holders, then
you should not have access to it any more than you do for telco
customers.  If your use is for technical admin contact, then there are
tons of web based dig tools and always command line tools for tracing
via IP address.  IP whois info is more accurate anyway.

Leah