Re: [ga] WHOIS policy primer

Danny -
----- Original Message -----
From: <DannyYounger@cs.com>
To: <roessler@does-not-exist.org>
Cc: <ga@dnso.org>
Sent: Tuesday, August 27, 2002 11:40 AM
Subject: Re: [ga] WHOIS policy primer

> Thomas,
>
> For a long time we have all known what the policies are.  We have also
known
> that many detest these policies and are looking for aggressive changes
rather
> than aggressive enforcement.  Why is the task force of the view that
> "enforcing the existing contractual provisions is the essential first
step"?

> I, for one, don't want these policies enforced.  I want them changed.  I
can
> contact my telephone services provider and request (for a slight fee) an
> unlisted number.  Neither my name, nor my postal address, nor my fax
number,
> nor my email address will be published.  This represents no particular
burden
> for the law enforcement community and I am able to have the measure of
> privacy that I deem important.  Why then should all my contact details
have
> to be exposed in the WHOIS?

becuase there MUST be some way of registering a data base wherein the owner
operators of domains are accessible. If not WHOIS, then what?

> Is the task force arguing that the rights of the intellectual property
> community trump my own privacy rights?  How did you arrive at the
> recommendation regarding enforcing existing contractual provisions?

because the WHOIS entry pertains to the public name that you are publishing.
By that act, the registering of a domain name, there is an inherent
agreement to be published in WHOIS.