Re: [ga] ah well.....

On Mon, 26 Aug 2002, Greg Burton wrote:

> Although I VERY rarely post anymore, I do occasionally try to keep up with
> the times (such as they are). And nothing seems to have changed at all. The
> same people are still powerlessly complaining, different same people are
> still disingenuously claiming that ICANN is not a governance body, and the
> same corporations are still manipulating the process.

the day i joined the process was the day i declared that ICANN was a
complete waste of time.

> Andy G - yes, that was a little too crude, I suppose. In the future you

> could simply say that outside counsel for ICANN seems to be "doing ICANN
> and the Internet Community prison-style" - which adds the implication of
> "without consent" while passing the bad words filter. Of course, his law
> firm is also picking up more than 1.5 million a year from this little
> venture of his, so it seems that K. W. Jeter's tongue-in-cheek description
> of the top management bestseller of the 21st century (Connect 'Em Till They
> Bleed: Pimp-Style Management for a New Century) is just too appropriate for
> words.
>
> Michael F - keep at it.
>
> Bret F - keep at it.
>
> Kent C - you'll keep at it, I know. Nice to see that you and Theresa are
> finally getting paid for your contributions to the corporate deadlock.
>
> Karl  A - just follow the money. About 1/3 of the ICANN budget goes to the
> "corporate officers" and the law firm, so it shouldn't be REAL hard to
> explain why they fight tooth and nail against disclosure and
> accountability. hmm...who is Mike R working for these days, anyway? In the
> Enron era, though, I guess this is all just good business.
>
> Was it only 7 years ago that we were concerned about the "fencing of the
> commons"? My how time flies...it's rather completely fenced, now, and the
> new boss is the same as the old boss.

sounds alot like a multilevel marketing empire built on sand.  it has good
people but no direction.  if karl had ever gotten his hands on the user
lists that participated in the election process - who knows what would of
happened.

regards
joe