Re: [ga] A Farce in a Pretty Package

Bret, Chuck and all assembly members,

   Chuck, of course there are divergent interests between Stakholders/users
and what you call producers.  However most stakeholders/users are
them selves also producers if not all are...  Hence this argument is one
borne of some other motivation than you or Verisign seem to be
outwardly projecting...

Bret Fausett wrote:

> Gomes, Chuck wrote:
> > First of all, we have consistently tried to point out there needs to be a
> > separation of users and producers.  And we have made clear that such a
> > separation does not mean that users and producers do not at some point have
> > to come together.  It just is very ineffective to start together because of
> > the very divergent interests of the two groups.
>
> There is absolutely no reason that "producers" can't collaborate on areas of
> common interest prior to initiating a policy development process. Do what
> you want in your constituencies and when you feel it's ready, THEN ask the
> Names Council to begin the PDP. Even when the PDP is initiated, there's no
> reason the two "producer" constituencies can't collaborate during the
> initial constituency consultation period. I don't see the proposed structure
> as in any way limiting the ability of those with common interests from
> working together.
>
> > Secondly, and this is one of the serious problems with the recommendations,
> > the GNSO should not be involved in issues that are outside of ICANN's
> > mission.  In the next to last draft that I saw, there was some language to
> > deal with this.  In the final document all such language was deleted.
>
> What do you think the language added? It parroted word for word language in
> many of the registry contracts. Since we were trying to develop a process
> for the GNSO as a whole, not just the registries, it seemed out of place.
> The omission of the language though doesn't mean you're still not protected
> if that same language is in your contract. (The Board can't amend contracts
> by itself, and the adoption of our recommendation would have no effect on
> your contracts. They say what they say.)
>
>       -- Bret

Jeffrey A. Williams
E-Mail jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com
Contact Number: 214-244-4827 or 972-244-3801